I read Kill Bill’s Browser some time ago. Now, Om Malik finally catches up to it. I can only summarize my impression of these two sites and initiatives as a big “Whine!”. I’ve used Firefox many times, but stopped after MSN desktop search practically closed the game on Firefox’s advantages over IE. To me, it’s really a toss-up between IE and Firefox, just that many sites to prefer IE. (Wharton Auctions, MSFT internal sites, Active Directory domain logging, etc.). I still occasionally use Firefox for no particular reason, but is it better than IE? Not really, in my opinion.
I’m very honest in my product reviews and the last person to defend Microsoft just on ideology, but just for fun, let’s disect the 13 Good Reasons to Switch to Firefox. This is really for comical relief. First read them and then read this:
1. Since SP2, and that was last summer, IE has had pop-up blocker and pretty hefty security installed in the browser. Firefox is nothing special here.
2. I’d change this to: “Let’s gratuitously drop the porn angle because it just adds filler to our list”
3. Does Firefox have better security than any browser? I doubt it and I’ve never had a problem with IE spam/spyware taking over my PC. Again, filler reason with porn derivative Viagra.
4. Mozilla uses Google as the sugar daddy and Google doesn’t vaccinate anyone, thus making these guys Google’s lackeys.
5. Maybe some web designers are just not worth it. Every year, bazillion PC’s suffer the brunt of customers’ vulgarity because the crappy web designers use Flash to f**k up our browsing experience. Sorry, no sympathy for me. Besides with 80% plus market share on IE, who cares about the small fish 🙂
6. Whatever, get some glasses. View->Text Size->Largest, whew! that cost you 2 secs of your life.
7. Bash Firefox because it will make these guys whine even more.
8. Filler! Mozilla topped IE in being a memory hogging browser with plug-ins that crash.
9. All in IE since SP2 and MSN Desktop Search. Fire-what?
10. Someone on this team has got issues: porn, viagra, 14 and 16-year olds, do I smell a Megan’s law fugitive?
11. What tech support? Not a single problem with IE, but at least I know who to call.
12. Bill’s mojo ain’t the IE, it’s Windows.
13. Sour grapes. Get over it…
Why use Firefox?
People should use firefox because not everyone has broadband connection. Using dial-up is driving me crazy when using IE. Firefox is twice faster then IE, even better then Opera. Not having flat rape is also driving me crazy, because downloading updates for Windows, such as SP2 is so unnecessary when you have so little bandwidth.